RSS

BFTP: Telang Usan Hotel Kuching

I'm back with my second BFTP and this time around I'm going all the way to Kuching, Sarawak. This might be waaayy back when I was a little greener (aka 'younger' - those were the days...) but it still remains as one of my fondest memories to this date.

Telang Usan Hotel Kuching

When - Sometime around 2009, with my early bonus no less
Where - It's located somewhat at the center of the lovely city of Kuching, so you'll have no troubles walking around for some retail therapy.
Room(s) that I've stayed in - Deluxe Room
Reason for staying - Now I have never done this (because I'm a somewhat control freak) and I absolutely hated going anywhere without any prior planning but weirdly enough when a good friend goes all 'lets go to Kuching' on a whim, I jumped on board. Our first hotel (it was during the school holidays so it's near impossible to find good, reasonably priced hotels) was a total dump (yes, we stupidly decided to just walk-in to a random hotel - in a city both of us are no familiar with) but thankfully a staff of the former hotel help us to find a better hotel so we're good from then on.
Pros:
* The room was big in size and the price was just right. In fact, I've notice that most of the hotels in Kuching were way cheaper (yes, including the big league hotels) than that in KK. Go figure!
* The Orang Ulu decor in and out of the hotel was just fascinating. You'll feel as if you're visiting somebody's home rather than staying at a hotel, which was pretty awesome.
* There's a garden for the guests to lounge in as well, a good attempt at introducing nature to the otherwise metropolitan area
Cons:
* I admit that the hotel might need to do some upgrade since the hotel (despite the very original Orang Ulu decor) looked very dated. It gives out the vibe of staying at a 1990s establishment.
* I do remember that the breakfast (albeit free) was the same throughout my one week stay. I'm hoping that they've improved this matter now
Memorable Event(s) - I still remember that when we were there, there's actually a construction going on within the proximity of the hotel. So eventhough the hotel was suppose to be very near to the main city attractions and mall areas, me and my friend had to walk around 25 minutes to get there (because we had to circled the construction site to get to the city area, and it's a huge construction site mind you). It was raining at times but I personally like the hotel so much that I kinda let the distance matter go. And I do appreciate the staff lending their personal umbrella to us so it's all good in the end.
Overall rating: * * * 1/2 (you'll definitely get the sense of Sarawak when you're there)

(P/S: Pictures below are mostly 'borrowed' from Tripadvisor.com and Sarawakhotelbooking.com so all credit goes to them)

Yup, they also provide free on-site parkings

There's actually a pretty awesome sitting area in between the main door of the hotel to their actual entrance a few metres from it. Pretty interesting concept.

Absolutely love the very traditional Sarawak decor 

Where else can you get a cosy garden within a hotel area, in the city no less?

Similar room that we've stayed in. It's really big in size and comfortable to boot


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment